Skip Navigation
Bendena State Bank
Bendena State Bank

Our History

Bendena State Bank was chartered on January 13, 1904 and open for business February 3 of the same year. The Bank was located at the corner of Main & Commercial Streets in Bendena. The first Board of Directors consisted of J. H. Hamilton, A. L. Wynkoop, J. P. Severin, Walter Zimmerman and A. F. Albers. The Officers elected were J. H. Hamilton, President; A.L. Wynkoop, Vice President; and W. M. Gillen, Cashier.

In 1907, the controlling interest of the Bank was purchased by the Zimmerman family, and Walter Zimmerman was elected President. Walter served until his death in 1939, after which R. R. Clutz served as President, who was subsequently followed by William C. Albers.

Fred Zimmerman served as Cashier from 1907 to 1908 when he left for Cheney, Kansas, where he had purchased an interest in another bank. W. C. Albers then served as cashier until 1913, when he resigned to go into the farming business. Albert F. Albers, a brother of W. C. Albers was elected Cashier and served until 1930 when he sold his interest in the bank and retired. W. H. Myers was elected Cashier in 1930 and served until 1948. Fred Clark then served as the Cashier.

In the spring of 1948, Ed K. Ricklefs purchased the controlling interest from the Zimmerman family. Ed died unexpectedly in August of 1948, and the controlling interest was transferred to his widow Alma Ricklefs and daughters Naomi and Donna. In 1973, Roger and Donna (Ricklefs) Caudle and John Atwater purchased the controlling interest from Mrs. Ricklefs. John Atwater was named Cashier and was later named President, until his retirement in 1989.

Also in 1989, the Bank moved from its location at the corner of Main & Commercial to its current location, in a renovated barn on the north edge of Bendena.

The Bank celebrated its 100th year anniversary in August of 2004 by hosting a BBQ dinner at the Doniphan West Middle School gymnasium.

On August 1st, 2011, Bendena State Bank purchased and merged with the Farmers State Bank, in Highland, Kansas. Farmers State Bank began operations in August of 1908. The original Stockholders consisted of J.H. Acker, J.F. Bottiger, J.L. Brim, Z.L. Gilmore, W.H. Hargis, L.G. Harper, C.B. Hughes, R.C. Miller, O.D. Moore, Sam McCauley, J.L. Noble, J.R. Thomas, W.G. Tobin, C.C. Webb, B.G. Whittaker and E.C. Winzer.

E.C. Winzer was the first President, J.F. Stricker was the initial Vice President and C.C. Webb the original Secretary/Cashier. In June of 1930, Dan Webb began working at the bank and later served as President. His son Ed Webb began working at the bank in August of 1971 and eventually served as President until the bank was purchased by Bendena State Bank.

The Bendena State Bank now does business as Bendena State Bank , at the main bank at 933 Friendship Road, Bendena, Kansas 66008 and the Bank of Highland, a branch of Bendena State Bank, at 402 W Main, Highland, Kansas 66035

 
Print Print Save as PDF Save as PDF
 
Copyright © Bendena State Bank. All rights reserved. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender